Our new location and facilities will allow us to expand our current programs. Animal services will remain a focus of our efforts. We will also be able to increase our educational programs and interaction with the public.
The property sits on 791 acres in Brooks, Maine. Brooks is a small historic farm town in Waldo County Maine, located just 15 minutes inland from the beautiful coastal village of Belfast. Brooks is accessed by route 7 from Belfast; the short drive takes you through lush rolling hills into a small town center flanked by the Marsh River. Nearby Belfast, is considered the "big town" where visitors can enjoy all the Belfast Bay and harbor has to offer, including the many art and antique galleries, music, storefronts and the local Belfast Food Cooperative which offers vegan meals and prepared food galore at its deli. Interestingly, Belfast was named one of America’s 'culturally cool communities' by USA today. It is a quick drive to the Camden Hills and to Rockport- both popular destinations. When visiting the sanctuary, people will have lots to look forward to both on-site and when venturing out into the surrounding towns. We are very happy to be a new part of this bustling community.
Click to view our Farm Plan
With our expanded home comes expanded programs which will include:
- Expanding our farmed animal rescue program
- Expanding our equine rescue activity
- Expanding our companion animal rescue
- Continuing to work collaboratively with animal rights advocates, shelter groups, and law enforcement
- Establishing a local pet food pantry and continuing our hay bank program
- Community clinic – offering spay/neuter clinics working with our veterinarian to provide low & no-cost services on-site. We hope to attract funding to have our own on-staff veterinarian who would provide both for the health and well-being of our resident population, new intakes, and also provide no-cost and/or low cost spay neuter and special care for animals who live with very low income individuals and families
- Increasing public awareness with more community events
- Providing comprehensive humane education
- Collaborating with wildlife and environmental advocates